Wednesday, November 22, 2017

waltzing psychology inconsumably

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. 
Steven Wright




I know, I've been absent, but busy here in Fla Fla Land.  Seems that if I get a split second I head for the studio to avoid home-stuff, then while I'm at the studio I avoid actual art making in favor of using up spare fabric.  I know this will lead to something someday but for now it's like my wheels are spinning. Actually it's a step ahead of being mired in the crap over the summer trying to get things put away.  So, every little bit helps but the trouble is I want to run and jump but it seems I am wearing UGG boots these day (figuratively at least!)

I haven't started Christmas.have to take down the Halloween wreathes and find the fake pumpkin that blew into the yard somewhere-  but it's black and hides so well in the shadows,

Speaking of the yard, we have a huge Traveler Palm as the centerpiece of the yard and it was doing fine up until last spring when it sprouted a whole additional trunk and grew out the right side but in a different direction from the original tree. The baby tree tried and was putting up fronds as high as the original in it's fan shape but it got very entangled with the original-  so things are very unbalanced and tangled.  The branches are like steel, cannot be shaken or moved to free the new fronds that are coming in at an alarming rate.  Then, right after the hurricane there was a new shoot coming right from the center of the palm, appeared overnight and it looked like a whole Bird of Paradise plant had taken root in the trunk-  weird as all get out, see?
Turns out this palm has a blossom!  And it looks exactly like Bird of Paradise and attracts the same bugs with its sticky syrup-  see drippy lines under the blossom?  We called our tree guy who is going to remove the additional tree but the blossom stays until it's dead.  Better lighting:

So, that's it for yard issues.  Well except that its so shady in the little back area where nobody goes that all the grass has died so it's going to get revamped with shade happy ground cover this fall and that will mean I can have a space for a hammock.  I'm looking for a perfect one now.

I have been working on embroidery the last few days- suddenly I have Projects Due!  I'm doing a little commission for a family member but was delayed by lack of computer and printer and finally I have that up and running.  I have a gift I am making for the Christmas grab, and yesterday heard about a little art sale for the bocce teams so I need to put in some time to get that done before the first of the year.  All this is complicated by having to be done with it all in 3 weeks flat.  Meanwhile life is swirling around me and I barely have time to take a shower any more.  


And oh yeah, I also have my own work that is practically disintegrating from lack of attention.  So here I am throwing an ARTY PARTY for youse guise!  Because I love you all for hanging in there with me since 2004.  Yikes.

Aren't these beautiful and peaceful?  

Ceramic artist Heesoo Lee brings the textural depth of aspen forest canopies to her sculptural bowls and vases.|
Lee painstakingly places each and every leaf by hand, building unique, organic trees that seem to come to life with their shimmering, colorful leaves. While the vibrant glazes add a lifelike layer, the pieces are equally stunning in their unglazed form. The Montana-based artist shares many progress shots and videos on her Instagram, and works are available for purchase on Etsy


Image result for turkeyHope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving. We are going to a neighbor's house with a collection of other family-less folks so it will be fun to try other people's traditions and foods.  My contribution is my jalapeño cornbread sausage stuffing, my absolutely necessary cranberry ginger sauce, and a pile of Brussel sprouts with baby onions and prosciutto.  I figure I am all set if everything else is white and bland!   And turkey is not my favorite meat, but I thought it a bit pushy to ask them to cook me a hot dog instead..   So, back to work on that stuff, and off to get my hair cut later.  And of course a few hours in the studio to mess about and make myself nervous.

No comments :