Wednesday, November 08, 2017

bankroller nebulization unpainted

'I usually work in a direction until I know how to do it, then I stop…At that time I am bored or understand – I use those words interchangeably – another appetite has formed. A lot of people try to think up ideas. I’m not one. I’d rather accept the irresistible possibilities of what I can’t ignore…Anything you do will be an abuse of somebody else’s aesthetics. I think you’re born an artist or not. I couldn’t have learned it. And I hope I never do because knowing only encourages your limitations.'  Robert Rauschenberg 
***
(this is such a great quote-  if I had more energy I would needlepoint it across the back of my couch-  it's too long for just a pillow!)
**********

Because I do SO much whining on this ole blog, wah wah wah about how I'm not working or things are a mess or the computer is not talking to the printer again, I need to show you that I AM doing SOMETHING and not just sitting blowing bubbles in the studio all day. Now, admittedly there are plenty or other things I could be doing-  like making working acquaintances with the Q20 uber fancy machine I bought but am afraid to crank up...  But hopefully this other stuff using up fabrics in vast quantities will get me to the point that i need to be.  We'll see.

And, as promised a post or two ago, here's my new shirts I've made, all slightly different, all using up old fabrics, and all wearable around here in all this hot weather.  I've made a few other tings but they are at the studio wallowing in lethargy-  shouldI or shouldn't I add sleeves, collars, cuffs, button front, pocket here or there-  stuff like that.  I'll post them as I finish.
CAUTION:  Do NOT complain to me about the awful state of my wrinkles!  I know they are there and I keep them to match my face.


Made from a famous designer dress I picked up at the consignment shop, I chopped off the bottom and added circular mantra stitching in variegated rayon shiny threads.  Needs pressing I know.


Nice Merimekko linen I bought from the Crate and Barrel outlet-  this stuff was used for store displays so lots of different sizes and scales of the same pattern.  I ran out of the big grape print and used the coordinating grunge stripe on the back


left-  a heavyweight linen with coordinating plaid covering seams and binding neck  Your basic gas station attendant shirt.  right-  more of the same giant Merimekko grape pattern, also linen.  Also have it in a rust red and green but I think Im done making shirts from it.


left-  what do you wear with silky purple and yellow pants?  Why a yellow and purple print in a different scale, natch!  What do you wear with more blue jens?  Why a silk ikat from Indonesia that was formerly a scarf.  See edge fringes at the bottom?  Very cool color and a bit shimmery.


left, made from pan embroidered linen that was formerly a mini skirt (more original fringe at bottom. The second fabric was exactly the same color and with black mantra stitching so that made up for the missing fabric amount.  Serendipity!  right, a quite fabulous Japanese heavy cotton that looks like a Gerald Richter painting.  This one may be my favorite fabric ever.  Wish I had more.


left, all my yellowish Kaffe stripes, no, I think this is my favorite!  I will make another one in the blue stripes just because, maybe cut irregular chunks of all of them to change it up.  Right, a dotty fabric from Marcy Tilton.  She has been a great source of unusual fabrics over the years but it's not as laden with really unusual stuff as it used to be.  Now the features French digital prints, and LOTS of blacks.  But they are always first quality.  So, that's what I did on my summer vacation.  And I can toss the tatty tee shirts that the dogs jumps on and rip with their scratchy little paw pads.  And no, I am not gonna treat them with Aquaphor and tiny white socks...


Whatcha gonna get me for Christmas?  How about this fab stocking that holds FOUR bottles of wine!  Now that's a gift!  Might need some extra strength on the mantle but that 2x4 look is in vogue, and it's only temporary for 2 months.  This may be an Archie McPhee thing, I'm not sure.  I'll check Google Images when I'm ready to order.  Or you can.



Quick ARTY PARTY today because I'm headed out for sushi!   

   
California artist Michelle Kingdom explores relationships through her tiny embroideries.  Some are densely stitched, some use more negative space but all are emotionally fraught.  She says, on her website:
My work explores psychological landscapes, illuminating thoughts left unspoken. I create tiny worlds in thread to capture elusive yet persistent inner voices. Literary snippets, memories, personal mythologies, and art historical references inform the imagery; fused together, these influences explore relationships, domesticity and self-perception. Symbolism and allegory lay bare dynamics of aspiration and limitation, expectation and loss, belonging and alienation, truth and illusion.
Check out her interview also on TextileArtist, an amazing site if you aren't already there! 

Now, get yourself back to work and maybe I will too!

No comments :