Thursday, September 07, 2017

syphilologist pharmacological belate

“Don’t talk about this. Never talk about your secret methods. If you talk about them, they stop working.” (Jean Cocteau)

Now accepting hugs here in South Florida.

I know, I've been among the missing for two weeks now.  First, I headed back to Boston for a week and had a couple of kid views and reconnecting ops with family-  really fun.  TY and I managed to get a few things done around the house/apartment/condo  and I coerced Nate to lend me his drills to hang curtains finally.  He wouldn't 'lend' me anything, afraid I would break them, the big twit, so instead I became Huck Finn and got him to do it.  I guess I didn't take into account his ridiculous OCD issues.  Anyway, a few hours later it was done and now the place actually looks like a home instead of a storage facility.

My flight back was Tuesday, and I had to be on it in spite of trying to keep people out of the area.  My dogs were already in the kennel too long, and in spite of it being a 'resort and spa', at the prices it cost me I had to spring them. I had left my car at the airport so drove immediately to Publix to refill the larder and set in a huge supply of dog food, then I went to fetch them-  so much fun to have them so excited to see me.  We came home and unloaded all the stuff and scratched ears and doggie backsides for the rest of the night.  Being at the 'resort and spa' exhausts them so we've had a couple of days of playing dead-dog until they heard their leashes jingle. 

Yup, Irma is approaching, slowly and surely and it looks like it will head right up the center of the state-  this will be catastrophic unless it veers off one way or another-  let us hope it's to the east, and a fast hook out to sea!  Right now it's Miami that will get it first an then we get to watch it on tv inching north right into us.  

I went and found backup batteries for the phone yesterday, and a rubber rug for the dogs to pee on *just in case*.  Thanks to a certain aging bulldog mom for that tip.  I've invited over a couple of friends who need to get out of their houses-  mine is a new house that exceeds Miami-Dade building codes, the safest in the country.  We had all high impact windows and doors and additional structure work whn=en we built it 2 years ago.  I am pretty confident we will get through unscathed but still I am nervous.  Yesterday about 12 men showed up here to help me move the outdoor furniture and heavy stuff.  I still have all the herb pots and the odd ground orchids to get inside, but the job I am dreading more han anything is emptying out the rocks from the fire pit.  They aren't heavy, lava rocks, but there are bags and bags full of them.  And I have to get at it because I am getting loud hurricane warnings over my iPhone from the county.  Way too early, Irma isn't due until Saturday night or there about.

And folks, other than telling you about FedEx getting my quilts back from Boston in record time, I don't have much art stuff to report.  I think this is the longest I have gone without doing handwork-  wish I had something in progress but the big project is finishing the giant quilt on the new machine.  Guess that won't get underway until next week if I'l lucky and the roof stays on the studio!  I am choosing not to worry about that too.  I only have so many channels!

So, here's the ARTY PART, certainly not an Arty Party today but all I can do.





Artist Janaina Mello Landini continues to produce dizzyingly complex installations and canvas-based sculptural works comprised of unbraided ropes that branch out like tree roots. The fractal-like artworks have developed over a period of six years as part of her “Ciclotrama” series, a word she coined that combines the root word “cycle” and the Latin word “trama” meaning warp, weaving, or cobweb.

SO, there ya go!  Now that I'm home and have a real computer and nothing but time, I am back in the blog saddle.  Check in any time!   

No comments :